Shandy's Big Summer Blowout
Brisbane's favourite semi-bi-monthly queer dance party
Date / Time
"It's not the heat, it's the humidity" - Ancient Meanjin (Brisbane) Proverb
You awake to the feeling of the warm wet air flooding your lungs like soup - you turn the cold tap on, but lukewarm water pours out of the shower head. "God, it's bloody hot, hey!" you say to your housemate as they're about to drive off to the Reservoir. "Actually, it's not the heat, it's the humidity." they shout out as the car drives off.
Desperately seeking salvation from the temperature, you wander over to Streets Beach in South Bank. As you lounge amidst old bandaids and imported sand, you start cruising this hot daddy queer in the distance giving you ~the look~.
Suddenly, they disappear like a mirage: you've been struck down by mild heat stroke. A lifeguard jumps to your rescue, cradling you in their arms as their ripe musk of BO and chlorine rouses you. You apologise for the drama, mentioning that it's just so hot. They quickly respond "Actually, it's not the heat that'll get you, it's the humidity."
Finally, the sun begins to set, and something off in the depths of the Valley triggers your senses: the ground begins to thump and suddenly the smell of leather cleaner wafts over the hills, emanating from The Tivoli.
You follow your nose, and your body begins to drift towards this air-conditioned oasis of the arts. As you approach, you are greeted by smiling angels at the door.
You ask them what's inside and they whisper to you...
It's not the heat, it's...
Shandy's Big Summer Blowout!
That's right! Meanjin's favourite semi-bi-monthly queer dance party, Shandy, has decided to decamp (but we definitely haven't de-camped, honey) to The Tivoli to provide you with some much needed respite in this hot Summer with some of this city's hottest (not humid) queer entertainment to drive you into a sweaty frenzy.
Step through the doors and join us for our Big Summer Blowout, as we serve up performances and DJ sets from some of your most beloved local acts including (but not limited to)…
- MASS with Goby Fish (Finley Kube) and Pistol Shrimp (Esther Dougherty)
- THE THICC SHAKE CREW (Ella Ganza, Crimson Coco, and Evangeline Yen)
- GAYLEEN TUCKWOOD
- ARCHIE ARSENIC
- HENNY SPAGHETTI
- THE SILVER STONE
With DJ Sets by:
Notes about the evening:
- We have a limited number of free tickets available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and any people who can't afford the ticket price. To gain access to this scheme, please message the Shandy Facebook page or Instagram for more information.
- We respectfully acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land we hold this event on, and pay respects to its Elders, past and present - and also pay respects and offer our love to the First Nations community attending. Sovereignty was never ceded.
- As always, please don't assume any one's gender or pronouns - give people a compliment and ask what pronouns they use.
- We want people to feel as safe and welcome as possible, so feel free to message the Shandy Instagram or Facebook page with any queries or concerns.
- The bathrooms will not be gendered - they either have urinals, or don't.
- Finally, we will be holding Shandy in a space that is wheelchair accessible! But if you have specific access requirements, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can make your arrival as smooth as possible 😊
- Racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, or transphobic behaviour/attitudes will not be tolerated. Please see staff or security if someone is making you uncomfortable, or message the Shandy Facebook page.